As you start using your Avios for reward flights, mistakes can happen. Wrong dates, passenger names spelling mistakes or simply a change of mind are some of the reasons that may occur. The process of booking one's own reward flight requires focus and attention to details. A mistake can cost you your miles and money if you don't pay attention and react on time.
How to cancel an Avios booking without any penalty
The process is pretty straight forward. Let's say you booked a reward flight via your British Airways Executive Club account. You receive your e-ticket receipt through to your email account.
However, you notice that you had chosen the wrong flight. You wanted to fly QR1136 but instead you booked QR1124. So what do you do?
You have 24 hours to react. Here are the 3 steps:
- In Canada, you need to call 1-800-247-9297. That's the British Airways contact centre number, which operates daily from 7am to 11pm Eastern time;
- ⛔ YOU HAVE TO CALL THE CONTACT CENTRE ⛔ There are no other ways to cancel or make changes to the booking;
- The agent will be able to help you cancel the reservation and claim a full refund of charges and Avios points;
The Avios are refunded within 24 hours. The money credit will take up to 5-7 business days.
But there are exception and exclusions.
Exclusions of the guarantee
Although the process is intuitive and very useful it does have its limitations and exclusions. Furthermore, you'll to to keep those in mind and pay a lot of attention when you book your next reward flights under any of the following conditions:
- If your booking was made for travel within 24 hours then you cannot change, amend or cancel it;
- If the booking does not require an immediate payment;
- Packages that involve: Flights, hotel, car rental or activities. They are locked-in. No changes are possible;
- South African domestic reward flights operated by Comair cannot be changed.
Using your Avios points is a great source of savings. What is your experience with redeeming miles and finding a mistake? What did you do?
Please share with me your experience and opinion on Amin On Miles Facebook page.