A more generous Amex Cobalt card
The American Express Cobalt card is pushing another bonus promotion. It’s actually the second in 2019. The first was the 2,000 Amex Cobalt bonus points on a single $75 gas purchase in Canada. The Cobalt card is more and more agressive with respect to bonus offers. Thus, helping cardholders grow their MR points balance faster.
Details of the 5,000 bonus MR points offer
Earn a one-time 5,000 bonus Membership Rewards points on a $300 qualifying travel spend. Travel spend is either a hotel stay or a car rental. Let’s have a look at the details of the offer:
- You have to register to the promotion. That can be done in the Amex Offers section of your Amex web account. Just click Register your Card button and you’re set;
- Purchase deadline is 31st July 2019 for stays from June1 until August 31, 2019;
- A purchase of $300 (CAD) or more must be charged on www.americanexpress.ca/travel. You have to make the purchase ONLINE. Therefore, please don’t call;
- Eligible purchase categories are: pre-paid hotel or car rental;
- The offer excludes Fine Hotels & Resorts and The Hotel Collection;
Is this bonus promotion worth it?
On paper this is a generous bonus offer. However, I have an issue with the tight dates. Unless you find a great deal this summer in Bangkok, you’ll pay a lot of money for a hotel stay.
The lure of a good chunk of bonus points can make us overspend. My opinion is that if you have already planned your summer vacations and closed the travel budget then let this promotion pass.
If not, then you’ll face the outlook of an expensive hotel stay unless you stumble on a great deal. Also, booking hotels & car rentals on the American Express Travel is my least pleasant experience.
On the one hand, the site features limited availabilities: some cities do not even show in the search box (ie Kuala Lumpur). For me this is unacceptable. On the other hand, the site tends to showcase the most expensive rates. That too is not acceptable.
The Amex Cobalt card remains a great rewards card. My Amex Cobalt will pay for my Hilton Honors Sweet spots, I keep earning the usual 2,500 bonus points upon reaching the $500 spend threshold.